This morning I was opening car doors for my sweet school kids. When it is early, I am usually tired, grumpy, and whiny (in my thoughts) about how cold it is. Today was different, I decided to change my mind and started to think about positive and encouraging thoughts. Philippians 4:8 says “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. “
The way I refocused my mind was by praying for my husband, my friends, and my sweet students. In the midst of my praying, I realized a pattern of asking the Lord to bless this or that. The thought “how can you ask the Lord to bless something that you didn’t plan with him?” crossed my mind and wrecked me.
It got me thinking how when most of us pray, it is about us asking the Lord to bless our plans, our ways, and our desires. At this moment I wondered if I had ever taken time to ask the Lord about what He thinks about my desires, ideas, and plans.
I will admit, I am the first one to encourage anyone and everyone to follow their dreams, desires, and to simply go for it. However, I am slowly realizing even though the go-for-it mentality is beautiful, the Lord wants to be in those dreams and desires with you. He wants to take your idea, desire, or dream you have and blow your mind.
If you are like me and have just realized that we sometimes dream up desires, wants, and plans but have not offered them to the Lord and asked Him to bless it, know that you are not the only person to do this. There a group of millions of people who are struggling with the same thing.
Here are a few tips and ideas you can do to start dreaming with God.
1. Know that the Lord is not trying to shut your dreams and desires down when you come to him. He is not going to say “oh dear child, this is not good”, instead He is going to take your dreams and desires and turn it to be honorable and holy for His kingdom.
2. Talk to the Lord. Have you ever had an idea and you went to your friends and they hyped you up to do it? Well the Lord is the same way. He wants to know those dreams and desires. He wants to magnify them, He wants to grow you through those experiences you are desiring. Allow Him to do so by communicating to Him and letting Him lead you in the right and godly direction.
3. Invite Him into your planning process. Take time to sit down and write your dreams down. In the midst of planning, ask Him what He thinks about your plans. Ask Him to make it better, make it holy, and make it His and not your own.
4. Don’t be afraid to approach the Lord. I believe this is one of the biggest struggles many of us face. We get fearful of the Lord and think that He is big and powerful and does not care about little old me along with my dreams and plans.
5. The Lord cares about your dreams and desires. He has fought for you since the beginning of time. He sent His only son to die for you so He can have a relationship with you. He doesn’t only want to have a spiritual relationship with you, He wants to have a holistic relationship with you. Every area of your life, He desires to be included, invited into the deep secretive parts of your heart. This is why the church is called the bride of Christ, because each of us can have such an intimate relationship with Him.
It is hard to believe that the author of life and the creator of the universe wants to be intentional and intimate with you in a deep way. Know that it is easy to invite Him in, allowing Him to shape, mold, and direct your desires and dreams. Get to know Him and all that he wants to do for you and through you.
There is abundant life to be lived, when we truly choose to live a life centered around God.
Go ahead, give it a try. Sit down and have coffee with Him. Draw lines, doodles, and shapes. Be in his presence and soak in all His goodness. Allow Him in. Its the best decision you will ever make.
With joy and warmth,